Friday 12 July 2013

Chicago Trip 2013 (Part 2)


Are you ready for Part 2 of a glimpse into my last month's USA trip? If you haven't seen Part 1 yet, please, do so.

Well, during the first week, we (my mum, my aunt, and me) spent our time in downtown Chicago. We toured the city and enjoyed seeing many different places, including the Adler Planetarium, the Shed Aquarium, the John Hancock Building Observatory (see photos in last post!), Navy Pier, and Macy's Store on State Street (the one with the mosaic ceiling and the vintage-looking clock!). We also went on the double-decker tourist bus and a river cruise and enjoyed sightseeing and learning about the different buildings in Chicago and their history. It was real fun! 

The second week we spent it in Wheaton College, IL. (about 1 hour by car west of downtown Chicago) for a Christian Conference. It was an amazing week and we were greatly blessed. Perhaps I'll share some highlights of those spiritual blessings sometime in a future post. However, today, I'll show you a glimpse of the Wheaton College Campus. Wheaton College is full of history...Billy Graham was one of its illustrious alumni, as well as such missionaries as Jim and Elizabeth Elliot, and most of the other missionaries who were martyred with Jim Elliot in Ecuador...just to name a few.

It's a beautiful college...not only in the natural, scenic way, but also in its spiritual heritage and present influence.

Beautiful, peaceful college grounds...It was just lovely spending my 'quiet time' there sometimes...so peaceful.

'The Castle'...beautiful, isn't it?


The Fountain!
One of my favourite places in Wheaton College was The Marion E. Wade Centre...a museum and research centre for the works of seven British Christian authors: Owen Barfield, G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, George MacDonald, Dorothy L. Sayers, J.R.R. Tolkien, and Charles Williams! A paradise for anyone who's interested in these great writers and their works! Guess what I saw in this centre, too...

Well! Can you guess what this is?
It's the wardrobe that was in C.S. Lewis' home.
It's the one that inspired The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe!!
Yes, the coats!!!
I just loved this warning sign they put on the door of the wardrobe...
"Warning! Enter at your own risk. The Wade Centre assumes no responsibility for persons who disappear
or are lost in the wardrobe."
LOL!!!
C.S. Lewis' desk and bust!! The one on which he wrote his works, including the Narnia books...
J.R.R. Tolkien's desk!! The one on which he wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings!
At first I wondered why this lamp post was lit in the middle of the day...and then,
I got it! The Narnia Lamp Post!!!
Another place I really loved in Wheaton was the Billy Graham Museum. Unfortunately, it's impossible to really portray what I saw there in photos...one has to enjoy the exhibitions in person...they're just amazing! But here is just one example...
An amazing experience to pass through this narrow cross-shaped passage to get to the cross.

As you can see, Wheaton College campus has quite amazing things! It's really worth visiting. 

I really hope you enjoyed these photos! 

5 comments:

  1. It's fun to see these pictures and realize that I was present at the taking of many of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stacy! :) What a wonderful time we had!

      Delete
  2. wonderful posts Sarah and just loved the Narnia bit too and so beautiful as you say ... my sister and brother in law were there last year they had 6 weeks in US ans Canada, wonderful indeed... love Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. *screams* The lamppost! Lewis' desk! The WARDROBE! *faints*

    To think that those beautiful items are in my country and I didn't even know it! Someday I ought to go see them. *pulls up Google Maps to see how far it is from my house* ;)

    I think I'm a bit envious of you at the moment, but, actually, come to think of it, I am more eager to see them myself than jealous. Must go there sometime, really must. I really love the sign outside the wardrobe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Great photos, Sarah dear - it must have been a fantabulous time... I know it was like that ^_^. Must have been. I agree with Emily - seeing such things as the Narnian Wardrobe, Lamppost, Tolkien's desk, the whole shebang would be something so amazing.
    Hugs, I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...